Settlement: refugee or humanitarian protection


You can apply to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) if you’ve got a residence card as a:

  • refugee
  • person with humanitarian protection

Check if you’re eligible in the relevant category.


There is no fee to pay the Home Office for applying for settlement as a refugee or person who has been given humanitarian protection.

Family members

You may be able to include your partner and any children on your settlement application if they’re already in the UK as your dependants. This includes children born in the UK.

Check if your family member is eligible.

If your application is successful, your family members will have the same permission to stay in the UK as you do.

If you cannot include your family members on your settlement application
If your family was formed before you left your country, your partner and children can apply to be reunited with you in the UK.

Your family members must apply for a visa to join you in the UK if one of the following is true:

  • they’re not eligible to apply as a partner or a child
  • your family was formed after you left your country

If your application is successful, your family members will have permission to stay in the UK for the same length of time as you.


You can apply after 5 years in the UK as either:

  • a refugee
  • someone with humanitarian protection

If your application is refused
Your settlement application may be refused if you’ve got a criminal record or been in prison – read why applications are refused.

If you still need humanitarian protection or are a refugee, you can stay in the UK for 3 more years. Your refusal letter will explain what you’ve been offered instead of settlement.

The above information can be found in full here.