Exceptional Talent Visa


Please note that you can no longer apply for a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa. Instead, you may be able to apply for a Global Talent visa if:
-you’re a recognised leader (exceptional talent)

-you’re an emerging leader (exceptional promise)

-you have a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) endorsement

If you already have a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa
You can still apply:
-to settle in the UK (indefinite leave to remain)
-for family members to join you
-to extend your visa – you’ll need to apply for a  Global Talent instead.

You can apply for settlement once you’ve been in the UK for:
-3 years with an exceptional talent visa
-3 years with an exceptional talent endorsement in science
-5 years with an exceptional promise endorsement in either arts and culture or digital technology

Family members
Your family members (dependants) must apply to join or remain with you in the UK if they’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
A dependant is any of the following:
-your partner
-your child under 18
-your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant

[The guidance on dependant applications is here for you to read before you apply].

It costs £608 for each dependant applying.
They also need to pay:
-the healthcare surcharge – they can check how much they’ll have to pay
-£19.20 to have their biometric information (fingerprints and photo) taken if they’re applying in the UK

Get a faster decision
If your dependants are applying from within the UK, they can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service to get a faster decision.

Dependants applying outside the UK
Your family members must apply online (unless you’re applying from North Korea).
They need to have their fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre (to get a biometric residence permit) as part of their application.
They have to collect their biometric residence permit within 10 days of when they said they’d arrive in the UK.
They may be able to get their visa faster or get other services depending on what country they’re in – check with the visa application centre.
If your child is over 18 they cannot apply if they are outside the UK. They can apply from inside the UK if they are already here as your dependant.

Dependants applying in the UK
Your dependants can apply to extend or switch their visas to stay with you if they’re already in the UK. Dependants must either:
apply online as a partner
apply online as a child

Family members cannot apply in the UK as your dependant if they hold a visitor visa.

Providing biometric information and supporting documents
When they apply, they’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide their biometric information (their fingerprints and a photo).
They’ll also need to submit their supporting documents. They can:
-upload them into the online service
-have them scanned at their UKVCAS appointment
They must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until they get a decision. Their application will be withdrawn if they do.

How long it takes to get a decision
A decision will be made within 8 weeks of their application date if they use the standard service.
If they use the super priority service a decision will be made:
-by the end of the next working day after their UKVCAS appointment if their appointment is on a weekday
-2 working days after their UKVCAS appointment if their appointment is at the weekend
Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.
They’ll be contacted if their application is complex and will take longer, for example:
-if their supporting documents need to be verified
-if they need to attend an interview
-because of their personal circumstances (for example if they have a criminal conviction)
Once they’ve applied they can stay in the UK until they’ve been given a decision, as long as they applied before their last visa expired.

Children born while you’re in the UK
If you have children while you’re in the UK, you can apply online to add them to your visa as your dependant.
You must do this if you want to travel in and out of the UK with them.
You’ll need to provide a full UK birth certificate for each child, showing the names of both parents.