You can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) if the Home Office has decided to:

  • refuse your protection claim (also known as ‘asylum claim’ or ‘humanitarian protection’)
  • revoke your protection status
  • refuse your human rights claim
  • refuse you a residence document or deport you under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016
  • revoke your British citizenship
  • refuse or revoke your status, vary the length or condition of your stay, or deport you under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • refuse or revoke your travel permit or family permit under the EU Settlement Scheme or restrict your rights to enter or leave the UK under those permits
  • refuse or revoke your permit, or deport you if you’re a frontier worker
  • refuse or revoke your leave, or deport you if you’re an S2 healthcare visitor

The tribunal is independent of government. A judge will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.
If you do not have the right to appeal, you might be able to ask the Home Office for an administrative review.

Owing to the importance of correctly ascertaining the legal basis, if any, upon which to base an appeal, our strong recommendation is to engage a competent lawyer to do this.